WE BELIEVE THAT TENNIS SHOULD BE A RIGHT, NOT A PRIVILEGE. THAT'S WHY WE DO OUR BEST TO OFFER FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE TO YOUTH WHO MIGHT NOT OTHERWISE BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN OUR PROGRAMS.
Our scholarships come from a variety of sources, like fundraisers, individual donations and grants. They even come from a percentage of our tennis program revenue, which is why we like to say that playing is giving here at The Fort.
Wells Family Trust Foundation Scholarship
- Families must demonstrate financial need. We use the federal free and reduced lunch income eligibility guidelines as one of our indicators of need.
- Players must complete and submit the scholarship application. Note: Scholarships are only good for the year of application.
- All scholarship recipients must be paid members of Fred Wells Tennis & Education Center.
- Parents, guardians and/or junior players on scholarship must be willing to volunteer at The Fort.
Contact Esther Tsai at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612.252.8367.
- Download the scholarship application.
- Submit completed application to Executive Director, Esther Tsai, by dropping it off at The Fort, emailing it to email@example.com, or mailing it in:
Fred Wells Tennis & Education Center
ATTN: Esther Tsai
100 Federal Drive S, St. Paul, MN. 55111.
NOTE: You must submit application by deadline.
You will be notified as to the status of your award no later than one week after the deadline.
Recipients and their respective awards will be selected by our scholarship committee. All scholarship applications are held in the strictest confidence. No one outside of the scholarship committee is privy to a family's scholarship application, including coaches. Scholarship award letters will be sent out no later than one week after the scholarship deadline. FWTEC does not discriminate based on age, race, color, national origin, disability, gender or sexual orientation.
Unfortunately, we have a limited amount of scholarship funds that we can award every year. Often we receive more requests for funding than we have available to award. We reserve the right to change the scholarship amount each year based on the amount of applicants, prices of classes, and any changes in a family's income or circumstances.
Nguyen Vo Family College Scholarship
Nguyen Vo’s family immigrated to Minnesota from Vietnam in 1975 with the help of kind family and friends and Nguyen grew in the Frogtown neighborhood of St Paul. In an effort to keep their kids from negative neighborhood influences, Nguyen’s parents kept their children engaged in sports. When they were small, Nguyen and his brother and sister hit tennis balls against the garage door and in the driveway with donated racquets and tennis balls found in a nearby park. When Nguyen turned five, he and his siblings started playing tennis on public park courts near his home. It was there he met Ernie Greene, a well-respected tennis advocate in the Twin Cities who connected Nguyen to a larger tennis community. With the support of his parents and junior coaches, Nguyen excelled in both academics and athletics and fueled his desire to give back to youth in the FWTEC community today.
The Nguyen Vo Family College Scholarship generously provides the opportunity for Fred Wells Tennis and Education Center youth to apply to the colleges of their dreams and allows them to afford the first step towards college by providing monies for application fees and college start-up expenses.
The applicant must be a current participant of Fred Wells Tennis and Education Center education or junior programs.
Please also provide the following information:
- A copy of your most current school transcript.
- A short statement about your experience or experiences at FWTEC that has positively influenced your life off the court and any positive changes that may have resulted from these experiences.
- List of extracurricular activities in which you participate at your school.
All application and materials must be received by September 1, 2018.
Please mail your application to the attention of: Esther Tsai, Executive Director. Fred Wells Tennis & Education Center, 100 Federal Drive, St Paul, MN 55111